Stay Updated

Parts of Sydney begin one-week lockdown

0 10

A one-week lockdown has begun for more than 1 million people in Sydney in a bid to stop the spread of the Delta variant of COVID-19 across the city.

From 11.59pm on Friday, anyone who has been working in those LGAs over the past two weeks must not leave their homes without good reason, regardless of where in Sydney they live.

Four Sydney LGAs will go into lockdown tonight. (Nine)

“We don’t want to see the situation linger for weeks, we would like to see the situation end sooner rather than later,” NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said.

The four reasons to leave home are: shopping for essential items; care and compassionate reasons; exercise (in groups less than 10); work and education that cannot be conducted remotely.

Businesses in the four LGAs — including gyms, bars and nightclubs — have been ordered into lockdown as well, closing for the next week.

“Unless you’re providing essential food and services, that is take away food and services or grocery services of that nature, we don’t expect those businesses to remain open in the next week,” Ms Berejiklian said.

Popular restaurants Hugo’s Manly and The Boathouse Shelly Beach are listed as close contact sites for people who were there on Saturday, June 19 between 5.30pm-8.15pm, and Sunday, June 20 between 8.35am-11.40am respectively. (Full list of exposure sites below)

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian. (Janie Barrett)

Anyone who attended a screening of Fast & Furious 9 at Reading Cinema in Auburn on Sunday at 6.30pm is being asked to immediately self-isolate and call NSW Health.

As the list of exposure sites grows, so too do the calls for all of Greater Sydney to be placed into lockdown.

However, Ms Berejiklian remains defiant the current measure will be enough to control the outbreak, which has grown to 70.

So far, only one of those cases remains unconnected, while 65 cases have been linked to Bondi cluster at the centre of the outbreak.

The single unlinked coronavirus case in Sydney in the past week is a nine-year-old boy from Waverley.

“Because this is a contagious strain, we anticipate that close to 100 per cent of everybody in a household is likely to get the virus if one person has had positive test results,” Ms Berejiklian said.

It’s expected that earlier restrictions announced for Greater Sydney, such as the requirement of wearing masks on public transport, will be extended.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.